In honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month, Borough President James Oddo is encouraging women over 40 to get a mammography and assess their risk for breast cancer. Project Renewal’s FREE Scan Van Mobile Mammography Unit is available throughout the month at several locations for women who wish to be screened. Additionally, during the month of October, Borough President Oddo will use his social media pages to encourage Staten Island women to get their annual mammography and to remind their friends and loved ones that an annual mammography could save their life.
“Mammograms are important preventative measures for women, which is why we encourage Staten Island women to take charge of their health and make sure they get their annual mammogram. The earlier cancer is found, the easier it is to treat. Women should speak to their doctors to determine whether their risk factors require such screening,” said Borough President Oddo.
In 2016, BP Oddo unveiled a series of public service announcements (PSAs) that tell the story of four Staten Island women’s journey with breast cancer. Each of the four PSAs emphasizes the importance of routine mammography screenings as a necessary tool in the detection of breast cancer. These videos will be shared each week throughout the month of October on Borough Hall’s social media pages. The PSAs, along with other information about breast cancer and mammography screenings, can be found here: www.statenislandusa.com/breastcancer.
The Project Renewal Scan Van screenings will be available to eligible women ages 40 and older who have not had a mammogram in the past year. All insurance plans will be accepted, and co-pays and deductibles will be waived. The mammograms will be free to uninsured women 40 and older. An appointment MUST be made to get screened. To make an appointment, call Project Renewal at (646) 415-7932. Project Renewal’s Scan Van will be located at the following:
- Saturday, October 10th at Staten Island Mall (2655 Richmond Ave., 10314) starting at 9am
- Wednesday, October 14th at Brightpoint Health Staten Island (57 Bay St., 10301) starting at 10am
- Tuesday, October 27th at Community Health Center of Richmond (235 Port Richmond Ave., 10302) starting at 9am
- Monday, November 23rd at Senator Lanza’s Office (3845 Richmond Ave., 10312) from 9am-12pm
- Monday, November 23rd at Community Health Center of Richmond (235 Port Richmond Ave., 10302) starting at 1:30pm
- Friday, December 18th at Community Health Center of Richmond (235 Port Richmond Ave., 10302) starting at 1:30pm
The screenings are funded by Cancer Services Program of Staten Island.