People often ask me, “What do you guys do over there at Borough Hall?”
My answer is usually, “How much time do you have?”
I say that as a joke, but the truth is that we work on a breadth of issues, ranging from small quality-of-life problems to larger borough-wide issues. For example, over the past year some of the big topics we’ve worked on include transportation, education, health, substance abuse and economic development. We also have an entire department devoted to dealing with constituent issues like potholes and litter.
Every day, it feels like we’re tackling a new and important issue, and with people’s increasingly busy schedules, following our office’s progress on different issues might get lost in the shuffle. You can keep up with us all year round through our very active Twitter and Facebook pages, but even the most social media-savvy people are likely to miss a few things. That’s why we’ve put together Direct Connect Sunday, an annual open house to showcase all the projects we’re working on at Borough Hall. Direct Connect is a great way for you to meet the Borough President, talk to our staff and learn about everything our office is doing to improve life on Staten Island.
This year, we’ve decided to take Direct Connect Sunday on the road to Mt. Loretto. We hope you’ll join us on January 29th from 1:00PM - 4:00PM at the CYO Center at Mt. Loretto, 6451 Hylan Boulevard.
Here are a few of the many things you can look forward to at the event:
- You will get a chance to learn about all the things we’re working on at Borough Hall. We’ll have displays on all the issues that we’re tackling, big and small, as well as the BP’s plans for the future.
- Since we’re hosting the event in a larger space, we were able to invite more community organizations and agencies this year. Visitors will be able to meet with over 30 government agencies, nonprofit groups and local attractions to learn about what they are doing on the Island. Sports lovers can visit the Staten Island Sports Hall of Fame, located inside the CYO Center, which will also be open during the event.
- We’re here to take your questions! Our staff will be on hand to discuss specific issues that you need help solving as well as any borough-wide issues you are concerned about.
- Staten Island University Hospital will sponsor a free naloxone training session at 2pm. Naloxone kits will be distributed to all who participate.
- There will be other interactive presentations and trainings, including a demonstration of our app, BP Assist, which you can use to submit quality-of-life complaints directly to us.
- If you’re looking for a quick bite during the event, refreshments will be sold by John’s Catering and Cheech-a-Cini’s food trucks in the parking lot outside the CYO Center.
Need a ride from the North Shore or Mid-Island? We’ll give you a lift!
The shuttle schedule is as follows:
Leaving Borough Hall – 12:00PM Arrive Mount Loretto – 1:00PM
Leave Mount Loretto – 4:00PM Arrive Borough Hall – 5:00PM
Leaving Historic Richmondtown – 12:30PM Arrive Mount Loretto – 1:00PM
Leave Mount Loretto – 4:00PM Arrive Historic Richmondtown – 4:30PM
Pick-ups at Richmond Valley Train Station – Intermittently
Drop Off at Train Station – 4:00PM
Please call to reserve your place. Additional shuttle runs will be added as needed,
courtesy of NY Wheel/Empire Outlets and Historic Richmond Town.
To reserve a seat, call Diane Marciuliano at 718-816-2246.
We hope to see you there!