Here are a few things you should know about mental illness:
- Approximately one in five adults in NYC experiences mental illness in a given year.
- The most common forms of mental illness are anxiety disorders, mood disorders and depression.
- Mental disorders are risk factors for other diseases, including substance use disorder.
- One in five children have had a seriously debilitating mental disorder at some point in their lives.
- One half of all chronic mental illness begins by the age of 14.
- 12% of NYC mothers experience post-partum depression after giving birth.
- Tragically, the suicide rate is rising. 90% of those who die by suicide have an underlying mental illness.
- In our public schools, 27% of high school students reported feeling sad or hopeless and 8% reported that they have attempted suicide.
- Only about half of those will mental illness receive treatment, mostly due to stigma.
If you are suffering from mental illness, you are not alone.
To get more information or support, visit www.nami.org