In order to improve the content and usability of this website, the City of New York (the "City") automatically collects several categories of information from users. This information includes the following:
1. The apparent Internet Protocol ("IP") address of your Internet Service Provider ("ISP") and/or your computer, if your computer has an IP address assigned directly to it.
2. The apparent Fully Qualified Domain Name ("Domain Name") of your Internet Service Provider ("ISP") and/or your computer, if your computer has a domain name assigned directly to it.
3. The type of browser (such as, for example Internet Explorer, Safari, Firefox, Chrome, Opera, etc.) used and the operating system resident on a user's computer.
4. The date and time a user visited the site.
5. The web pages accessed at the site, as well as any documents downloaded and forms data.
6. The Uniform Resource Locator ("URL") of the site which a user visited prior to StatenIslandUSA.com (if detectable), if such user did not connect directly to StatenIslandUSA.com, or use it as a homepage or "Portal.
The City uses this information to identify site performance needs; to ensure compatibility with the technology used by StatenIslandUSA.com's visitors, and to generally add and improve services offered on StatenIslandUSA.com. In order to accomplish those goals, from time to time, the City may conduct statistical analysis of the data it collects. The City does not collect data for commercial or marketing purposes, and the City does not sell, exchange or otherwise distribute the data collected by StatenIslandUSA.com for commercial or marketing purposes.
Information Submitted to StatenIslandUSA.com
During a session on StatenIslandUSA.com, a user may affirmatively submit information to the City by filling in and submitting an on-line form. Such affirmatively submitted information is stored in a secure environment, and will be used by the City in furtherance of its duties and/or obligations to its citizenry (i.e., "governmental purposes").
The governmental purposes to which affirmatively submitted information may be put include, but are not limited to, the following:
1. Helping the City respond to a request for information not readily available from StatenIslandUSA.com
2. Investigating a problem reported to the City via StatenIslandUSA.com
3. Keeping lists of parties interested in some particular issue or facet of New York City life about which the City anticipates issuing further information in the future.
4. Disclosure of such information pursuant to a request made under Freedom of Information Law ("FOIL") or court order, if such information is not protected by federal or state law.
The City does not rent or sell personally identifiable information (i.e., information such as name, address, phone number, e-mail, etc., that identifies a user as a particular person), nor would the City exchange or trade such information with third-parties without a user's explicit permission.
No applications on StatenIslandUSA.com specifically solicit information from minors or seek to determine whether the visitor is a minor. Consequently, because such information will not be specifically identified as being from minors, users of StatenIslandUSA.com should be aware that personally identifiable information submitted to StatenIslandUSA.com by minors will be subject to being treated in the same manner as information given by an adult and may become subject to FOIL.
The City strongly believes that parental supervision is an important factor in Internet use by minors. Therefore, StatenIslandUSA.com asks parents to guide their minor children when children are asked to provide any personal information online. StatenIslandUSA.com further asks that children ask for and receive their parent's permission before providing any information online.
Third Party Links
The content of StatenIslandUSA.com's webpages is copyrighted, and contain some third party images/graphics that are used with permission. Users are notified, therefore, that one should presume the need to obtain permission from the copyright holder before reproducing or otherwise using images/graphics from this website.