- Approximately 1 in 5 adults and adolescents experience a severe mental illness at some point during their lives.
- Approximately half of chronic mental illness begins by the age of 14, and three-quarters begins by age 24. Unfortunately, mental health issues are often not recognized properly because there is a stigma around talking about it or reaching out for help.
- The suicide rate is rising in NYC, with suicide being the second leading cause of death in 15 to 29 year olds.
- Mental health disorders are the leading cause of disability and are a risk factor for substance use and other chronic diseases.
- Stigma and discrimination often prevent people from seeking mental health care. This is incredibly detrimental to those suffering from mental illness. We need to do all we can to end the stigma around mental illness and help those who are suffering get the proper care.
If you need help, New York City has free, confidential mental health support 24/7 that can be reached at 1-888-NYC-WELL (1-888-692-9355). You can also text “WELL” to 65173 to get help for you or a loved one who is coping with issues like stress, depression, anxiety, or drug and alcohol misuse. You can get more information here.